This page provides examples of Limerick poems. The poems and poetry selected are by famous poets who have used Limerick as a poetic or literary device to convey, emphasize and create vivid images. Poets use this type of device as an unusual alternative to every day speech to help them express mood and emotion. For additional information about Limerick please click the following link:
Examples of Limerick Poems
Our examples of Limerick poems and poetry have been selected from the work of some of the the most famous American and English poets.
- There was a young lady of station
"I love man" was her sole exclamation
But when men cried, "You flatter"
She replied, "Oh! no matter
Isle of Man is the true explanation"
- A man hired by John Smith and Co.
Loudly declared that he’d tho.
Men that he saw
Dumping dirt near his door
The drivers, therefore, didn’t do.
by Mark Twain
- There was an Old Man with a beard,
Who said, 'It is just as I feared!
Two Owls and a Hen,
Four Larks and a Wren,
Have all built their nests in my beard!'
by Edward Lear
- There was a small boy of Quebec
Who was buried in snow to his neck
When they said, "Are you friz?"
He replied, " Yes, I is —
But we don't call this cold in Quebec"
by Rudyard Kipling
- T. S. Eliot is quite at a loss
When clubwomen bustle across
At literary teas
Crying, “What, if you please,
Did you mean by The Mill On the Floss?”
by W. H. Auden
- Our novels get longa and longa
Their language gets stronga and stronga
There’s much to be said
For a life that is led
In illiterate places like Bonga
H. G. Wells
Examples Help! Use of Examples of Limerick Poems & Poetry
The Limerick poem, poems or poetry convey and emphasize unusual and vivid images. The use of strong word association changes the mode of thought and adds variation, embellishment and adornment to poetic and literary works.
- Limericks Free educational resource
- Poem, Poems & Poetry - Limerick poem
- Word association to convey humor.
- Poetic device
- Famous American and English poets & authors
- Samples and extracts of examples of Limerick poems
- Limericks by famous authors
- Poetic devices
- Limericks by famous American and English poets
- Limerick Examples Help!